Braces and orthodontic wires can be quite fragile, which means you (or your child) might experience the following problems:
- Broken braces (brackets)
- Broken wires
- Loose bands
- Loose braces
- Wires sticking out
If any of those situations occur, your first course of action should be to call Dental Care East Hanover, as only a dental professional can fix or replace the broken or loose wires and braces.
But to alleviate the pain from those sharp edges on the wire or braces, it’s recommended that you:
- Purchase dental wax from your local pharmacy and cover the broken or sharp wire or brace.
- Take an over-the-counter painkiller can help to reduce the discomfort.
- Rinse your mouth with salt water to promote healing.
- Eat soft foods to avoid doing further damage to the bracket.
- Be sure to avoid hard, crunchy foods like raw carrots, sticky candies, and apples.
When you’re dealing with an orthodontic emergency, the staff at Dental Care East Hanover are available 24 hours a day. Call (973) 975-0309 to talk to our qualified professionals.